Friday, December 17, 2004

New Year's Day - U2

Prophecy And Disillusionment

"All is quiet on New Year's Day.
A world in white is underway.
I want to be with you, be with you night and day.
Nothing changes on New Year's Day
I will be with you again.
I will be with you again."

Okay, so, in hindsight I'm not focusing very well on the thesis of this mix. I think there are important conclusions to be drawn from that fact. Anyway, this song is one I discovered during the summer of 2004, and I realized when I heard it that it was how I was going to feel later. That having happened, here's the present meaning of the song:
"I will be with you again" is the prophetic portion of the song (they chant it, over and over, each chorus).
"Though I want to be with you be with you night and day, nothing changes on New Year's Day" is the disillusionment portion of the song. I recognize the prophecy of the above line, but remind myself of how long there is to wait. Like, "Maybe you're right, and you will be with her again, but not anytime soon. The day of renewal is powerless to change anything."
This song makes me sad, yet solidifies me to my cause. Aye! So tricky, balancing these things in my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home