Friday, December 17, 2004

One Hand, One Heart - Tony And Maria (West Side Story)

"Make of our hands, one hand.
Make of our hearts, one heart.
Make of our vows, one last vow.
Only death will part us now
Make of our lives, one life
Day after day, one life.
Now it begins, now we start.
One hand. One heart.
Even death won’t part us now."

This song is the entire reason I can't give 17 Days to Bridget. The rest of the songs are somewhat neutral, but this one takes the cake for being decidedly BELAJO.
A historical note : This song was originally going to be on History Part 2 but I took it off, realizing the value of this song for the future amd feeling it would be wasted so soon. However, unwilling to let it go completely, I integrated the song in a way too mysterious for words. The CD label of HP2 is a cropped photograph of Bridget (the photo I kept in my wallet while we were together, and for some time while we weren't) with an eerie green trimming around the edge. That green trim is the graphical representation of "One Hand, One Heart," and I think of it as a ring. She has my promise, whether she knows it or not. I'd rather she not know, just yet.
During the conflict I mentioned in "Let Me Go," I gave her some idea of how busy I've been; informed her that, though I'm trying to seem cold on the outside, there's always a secret meaning that I'm not saying. I revealed to her that the subject line of our e-mail "La da da da la da la dee..." was an approximation of the first line of Jack Skellington's Reprise in The Nightmare Before Christmas : "My dearest friend, if you don’t mind...." I likened her realization of this hidden meaning to be something like "Walking out onto your front lawn to discover its actually a minefield, and that it has been for months."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home