Friday, December 17, 2004

Rocketman - Jon Langford And The Classifieds

Still Unsatisfied

"And I think it's gonna' be a long, long time
'Till touchdown brings me 'round again to find
I'm not the man they think I am at home,
No, no no, no.
I'm a rocketman."

This one goes way back, to the Summer of 2002, when I heard this song on the radio from the passenger seat of Jovah's red volvo. These were the pre-Belinda days, of course, so I was relegated to shotgun. We heard the song, and the story behind it, during "This American Life" on NPR. Good ol' NPR even had the mp3 posted on the web for anyone. Obviously, this is an Elton John cover done by a band you’ve never heard of (and never will).
The first time I used it was in the End Series, where it felt good, but not solid. That's why it keeps coming back up. It almost fits in this mix, but that's only because I'm that much closer to where I need to be to finally use this song properly. Expect "Rocketman" to be put to rest within the next three mixes, depending on how long it takes me to develop the corresponding artwork. That's when I'll talk about the meaning of it, but not now.
(ADDENDUM, 12/22/04) Listening to this again, I wanted to mention here the significance of "And I think it's going to be a long long time (repeat)". It kinda stands for how I feel about the state of things with Bridget, and the distance between us. Like I said above, there's much more to this song than I'm letting out in this mix, but I think that the distance between Bridget and I (represented in this song by outer space) is going to last a very long while. Of course, that could change completely with every bend of the road.
I wonder what would happen if I fell gravely ill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home