Friday, December 17, 2004

Talking Shit About A Pretty Sunset - Modest Mouse

The Truth Of The Matter

"And I claim I'm not excited with my life anymore,
So I blame this town, this job, these friends;
The truth is it's myself.
I try to understand myself and pinpoint who I am.
When I finally get it figured out,
I've changed the whole damn plan.

Oh noose, tied myself in, tied myself too tight.

Talking shit about a pretty sunset.
Blanketing opinions that I'll probably regret soon.
I've changed my mind so much, I can't even trust it.
My mind changed me so much, I can't even trust myself.”


This song speaks like Peter does, telling me exactly what I've chosen to ignore. The first verse is wholly Peter's voice. The second verse is synthesis, Peter's inside-looking-outside-looking-in perspective combined with my cynical view of my constant complaints. This song manages to be completely about me.
Of note, musically, between the second chorus ("Oh noose....") and the second verse ("Talking shit..."), the music changes to something that is strongly reminiscient of "Where Is My Mind?" (a song featured in End Of Summer, End Of Me, and End Of Year). Just listen to it, I think it's an obvious tribute. For this reason, it sticks out in my mind and my intention was an homage to the past mixes and their meaning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home