Friday, November 04, 2005

The Rare Weekend Post

Folks and Folkettes, I'm done with my tests and papers for the week, and I have nothing of any concern due until next Thursday. So here's my attempt to make up for the drought during the last 10 days:

First thing is first. Suite 3100 turned 100 yesterday, with Carl's post about "Old Navy" and the items therein. I checked the sitemeter just now, and it's at 700. That means for every post we've put up, an average of 7 people have have looked at the site. Our daily average was stable in the 20's until last week, when the posting rate dropped. But yeah, triple-digits everybody. Let's hear it for everyone involved, and for Carl, who should feel fully inaugurated by the prestigious honor of being 100th. Wahoo!

To celebrate I offer a picture of Rat #71, as taken by my fabulous cameraphone. I don't get to chill with this guy too much, because he's usually in and out of the boxes by the time I come in. We chill when I do my weekend hours, though, and he's well-mannered (As rats go); not like that (rat) bastard, #74.

Right, this is a miniature rant, but more just an expression of disbelief. I was waiting on my appointment in Student Health this morning, and I overheard a conversation between two nurses. Jump ahead five hours to Wal-Mart, when I overhear two cashiers talking about microwavable foods; I don't keep up with popular popular culture, but it is my understanding that some rappers have taken to saying "hur" instead of "here", "thur" instead of "there", etc.... I was under the impression that this was just another moronic fad started by insert rapper of the month, like those god-damned band-aids that people wore under their eyes for three months after the Grammys. However, I have since been informed that the "Ur" phenomenon is, and has been, a part of the accent of lower-middle to lower-class black people in the Midwest (and, incidentally, that wigga girl who works at Ursa's). All this having been said, one of the cashiers at Wal-Mart pronounced "DiGiorno's" as "DiGurno's". That kind of manipulation of the English language is acceptable, even understandable.

This is not : One Nurse commented to the other that the Chicago aquarium is only so interesting, because how many times can you look at the same damn fish. The second nurse responded, "Girl, you got a purnt thur".

I don't care who you are. I don't care what accent you have. I don't even care if you've never pronounced the syllable "Ur" and never will. This is an important lesson for all of you.



Get the purnt? I certainly hope so.

Right, next up....

Ah, yes. Tonight is a party night! Larkin, the self-titled "Mistress of Distress" is throwing a 20th birthday party at her recently annexed apartment in the Greenway Apartments. If you know Larkin, just show up. If you don't know Larkin, find somebody who does and then come. I durn't nur hur lurng I'll bur thur fur, but all great parties depend on good guest turnover rates.

And weed.

Ah, the warm November day calls to me. It's been in the high seventies all week.

I've got two more posts in me, which I'll try to put up this weekend. Still no word from Chaz or Vlad. It's a good thing they're together, or else there might be more cause for concern.

-Alan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home