Friday, November 18, 2005

Sleeping Week

(This post brought to you by a cessation of the continuity of temporality)
So, because "sleeping places" was my idea, and because it's taken about a week and a half for me to get around to posting about it, I'm pulling out the big guns. I realize the risk I run by showing you all my favorite sleeping spots, but I deserve it for being so flaky about the blog.

First, I present, to you, the Ginko Grove (and surrounding area). Gaze upon the camera- phone- captured beauty of Wash U's ginko canopy. Just feet from the world-class Olin Library, the ginko grove provides much needed shade in the Spring and Summer, and spindly stabbers of death in the Fall and Winter. All that aside, the ancient ginko is a proud tree; low to the ground and sturdy, perfect for climbing.

Many of the branches are broad enough and low enough to eliminate the worry of falling while you catch your z's; but, if you do fall, there is always a nice grassy lawn to catch you. Should you decide sleep isn't for you, just scoot on over to Whisper's Cafe and grab an All-Nighter from the coffee bar.
Seriously, when I'm less cynical, I consider these trees, the ground under these trees, and the nearby Ginko Room of Olin, to be some of the best places for a mid-day nap.

Now, last week, I mentioned falling asleep in a secluded, very uncomfortable chair in the basement of Eads. Wash U is filled with these, the most uncom- fortable padded armchairs on the planet. The arms are at exactly the right height to prevent ever finding the right position. Somehow, though, I managed to writhe and twist myself into either (a) a position comfortable enough to elicit sleep or (b) a position that compressed my spine until I lost consciousness; none can say for sure. What's important is that you see the chair, and try to imagine a person horizontally-oriented on it.

Lastly, I give you a tree which I love very dearly. I love it because not everyone can get into this tree, and still fewer can get as high up in it as Bridget and I did. For sleeping purposes, however, you'd do well to focus on the very long branch that occupies the center of the frame. It's very big, and very strong, and probably very bad for your back, but I fell asleep there and I have no regrets. I also like to write in that tree, though never Suite 3100 stuff (sorry). On Tuesdays and Thursdays, you can catch WU Women's rugby practicing, and I've totally got a thing for tough girls.

Anyway, the only thing standing between me and home is a Film Studies paper, so I must away to do that.

Oh, and if any of you are the type who check this site regularly, then I encourage you to forget that this post did not appear until mid-afternoon Saturday.

-Alan

1 Comments:

Blogger mysti skye said...

my fave spot to nap on campus is that lounge on the B level of the library. push a couple chairs togther, set the cell alarm, and nap away the lunch hour

sleep definitely trumps eating when taking 18 credits

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home