Monday, December 19, 2005

On Soothsinger

This time last year, I was fighting my way through General Chemistry and Calculus II. In the non-academic sphere, I was struggling with a complicated allegory for my emotional state. What began with 17 Days, specifically the use of "Rocketman", continued to expand and grow more complicated as time went on. What eventually became Soothsinger, sometime in May 2005, was what I had been working towards since early December 2004.

NOTE : The link above will take you to a list of links. I have begun the process of converting a set of writings (which I call "Mixologies") I did last year to blog format. When I am done, they will be extensively cross-clickable. Almost everything that appears underlined will be a link by the time I'm done. END NOTE.

Though I sometimes make a mix for a season, or a set of seasons, Soothsinger was not intended to be such a mix. However, I find that the climate of finals and the climate of St. Louis lends itself to the sort of music on Soothsinger. I find myself thinking of myself as the proverbial "Rocketman," just as I did last year; I find myself thinking the same of dear Vladimir, who left this morning.

Our gathering last night was heavy-hearted--there was some sort of confrontation at Westfield with Alfonzo, who chose not to return to the suite with Vlad--but warm. We drank together, not to get drunk, but so that our edges might blur a little. It is a glorious feeling when you become one with your friends, when you can combine your goals and ambitions and even your emotions, if only for a few hours. We played poker, we watched TV, Vlad quizzed me on Russian while Chaz wrestled with a beanbag chair. We were united, as we will remain on into next semester. We are Suite 3100, and we love it.

-Alan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home