Monday, October 02, 2006

A Blogger, Weekly

Or perhaps 'weakly'.

Okay, so I've mentioned things in the past about how Alan on the blog deviates from Alan in the real world; I chalked this up to alienating all those close to me in one way or another, the result of which is that the most important thing in my life is frequently my best kept secret--but it's not as though I don't trust my friends, ex-friends, lovers, ex-lovers, confidants or ex-confidants. If you've known me for any amount of time, you know that I'm secretive, you know that I lie, and you know I'll always have the audicity to beg your forgiveness when my secrecy wears on your nerves.

Well, anyway, there's been a secret for the last couple of weeks, and everyone of consequence knows about it, so it's now safe to write about it on the blog.

Samantha Cyrene. Her name is a better portrayal of her than I could come up with. (sigh)

First to find out was dear ol' Jessie, by virtue of waiting with me in front of Rebstock for class to start, as well as it being fairly safe to tell her (as a lifelong social floater, for every friend that I have, I also have second friend who has no loyalties to the first friend. Jessie was, in this case, the second friend).

Next to hear about it was Bridget. The resultant drama of telling her has already come and gone--we've had this problem so many times that we've become very efficient about resolving it (unfortunately, I can take no credit for how well our last bout turned out).

Round three was my new suitemate, Benjamin, who is Sam's recent ex. He gave me the go-ahead, but I have saved the hardest conversations for last; my most recent ex-girlfriend (Pistachio), a stoner romance (yet unnamed on the blog), and the cousin of a friend of mine (a Summer thing. Actually it's why Pistachio is now ex-Pistachio).

And so I was a coward about it. By bad luck (and nosy girls named Emily) the stoner romance found out and confronted me. And though I admit that I am both a liar and a coward, I can gladly say that I made no excuses for my behavior.

Sooner or later, the rest of the suite found out (momentarily tense, until they learned that Ben was okay with it), and things have been fairly stable since then.

So last night, at our first party of the year, Sam asked if we could go ahead and put ourselves on Facebook. I knew that once it was on Facebook, there was no denying it to anyone from that point on. Taking full advantage of the fact that my computer was all of 10 feet from me, I moved to make the change immediately. End result, the relationship status went up around 11:30 PM Central time. I got a phone call around 1 AM, which I ignored. When my phone stopped ringing, I turned it off and turned my attention to more serene things. When I turned it on in the morning, I had four voicemails, and It's funny..... every last one of them was about my change in relationship status.

It's enough to make you want to quit the Facebook. That'd show ol' Zuckface.

At any rate, I know my production of posts is pathetic, but I'm willing to accept that description.

-Alan

1 Comments:

Blogger Alan Orlanski said...

I hadn't thought of it like that.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home