Friday, December 17, 2004

Old Brown Shoe - George Harrison

Reprise

"I may appear to be imperfect.
My love is something you can't reject.
I'm changing faster than the weather.
If you and me should get together,
Who knows, baby,
You may comfort me."

This song is as old as dirt. I have lost track of where this song came from, but Bridget claims it came from one of her birthday mixes (maybe 2002, I think). At any rate, the song is a flagship. It's kinda like a mission statement, the last declaration of intent.
When this song first appeared, over two years ago, Bridget's mother heard the song and took it to mean I had a crush on Bridget. We both remember that story quite well. It is appropriate that it comes up on an anthology because it does come from the past, but to bring it back after so many years comes with an implication or two.
The way I imagine this song, in the context of this mix, is like the final transmission to Bridget before cutting off romantic conversation; the final piece of BELAJO. The pace of the song is a determined, persistent one. The message is that things will return, someday, to the way it was. No, better than the way it was. "Who knows, baby. You may comfort me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home