Tuesday, February 07, 2006

V Day

Valentine's Day is not my enemy, but it is not my friend. Generally, the way this works is, if you're single, you hate it and if you aren't single, you love it. Each condition, for me, is a mixed bag. When I'm single, I think of a variety of gestures I could make to a variety of people, doubting whether or not it's a good idea. When I'm attached, I think of a variety of gestures I could make toa variety of people, and resent the fact that I can only officially gesture towards the person I'm with.

That glass is just a tiny bit less than half full, no matter how I look at it.

Motherfucker.

I've got to write a short story in a 7 days. I've been working on four, none of which want to turn into something worthwhile.

#1. My most hopeful story is about a boy who works in a psych lab with pigeons, falls in love with one of the women he works under, becomes violently angry upon learning that she's engaged, thinks the pigeons are telling him to kill the fiancee, and soon he begins listening to them. Undertones of how even humans, supposedly higher beings, are controlled by stimuli and conditioned responses.

#2. A story about Maggie, one of my favorite real life characters to write stories about.

#3. An aborted fetus of a story about a mysterious letter asking the recipient to meet late at night behind a building on campus.

#4. A second Maggie story, centered around a WU myth about the founder's seal and Brookings Hall.

The problem is that I can't get any of the stories off the ground. I've completely plotted out the pigeon story, but the execution is killing me. My plan is to jump ahead to a scene that I anticipate will be interesting, write it as though it were the beginning, and see if the result is something worth keeping. I think that I can make this story happen, but I've just been too scatterbrained to get it off the ground.

Sorry for the state of the union post. Not much is going on, and I'm tired of posting about Brody all the time.

-Alan

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay me!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home