Monday, December 20, 2004

Bluebird Of Paradise (Pt.1) - Mojave 3

The OC Steals From Everyone

"Gotta find a way to get back home.
Gotta find a way back home."

In late May, The OC aired episode 26 of its first season, which featured the song "Bluebird Of Paradise" by Mojave 3. Weeks later, Bridget gave me the mix titled Windy Day Songs, which had the very same song on it. It seemed incredibly familiar, though I couldn't put my finger on where I'd heard it before. While attempting to download every song The OC used in season one, I finally remembered that that's where I had heard it before. It sucks that such a good song found its way to me before she had her chance to give it to me, but the consolation is that I'm not the only person The OC has been stealing from.
The meaning/importance of this song on this mix should be pretty obvious if you listen to it. The Summer (2004) was filled by thoughts of my home, what it meant to me while I was there, and what I might think of it once I left. For added significance, this entire mix was made while on vacation (part of the As American tradition) and I was anxious to get back home so I could be with her, and all of my other friends.
On a technical note, I took the entire song, "Bluebird of Paradise," and split it into three pieces (the pieces themselves are pretty distinct in the original song, so I didn't bastardize it). This is part one. Part two appears in the exact center of the second track, and part three is the last song of the third track. These three tracks stand alone, but I added track four and killed the symmetry. Damn me and my addendums.
I also think that the whole OC thing added a certain amount of magic to this song. I remember watching that episode and thinking "Oh man, I need whatever that song is." I promptly forgot to try finding it, so when it reappeared, it stimulated little bristles of warmth and good connotation in my subconscious. The song emerged from the mists of avalon, and so it holds a special place in my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home