Monday, December 20, 2004

Displaced - Azure Ray

Another Floater

"And she's my friend of all friends.
She's still here when everyone's gone.
She doesn't have to say a thing.
We'll just keep laughing,
All night long. All night long."

I can thank Bridget for giving me Azure Ray. There's no one else to credit for that one. This song... there's a repetitive series of tones that plays in the background (something like oo ee oo ee oo, echoing away, if you care to find it for yourself); this tone just reminds me of the ocean, of driftwood, and somehow of The Great Gatsby. I can see the green light across the bay when I hear this song, and I feel as though I'm drifting somewhere in Jack Mayer's lake.
Jack Mayer's lake... I can't remember when that was. I know it was before March 14th, 2004, but I don't know when. I came up with the idea of driving to Minnesota the same night I drove to Jack's. It was me at my most romantic. I feel, lately, a lot like I did that night. I want to pursue creative aims, not so much the academia anymore.
Oh God, I'm getting washed up in present meaning. I think I might have to stop writing these for a few days.

(Two days later, December 20th, 2004) I'm now sitting in St. Louis Lambert airport, and I very nearly just flew to St. Paul. My original connection fell through, and I almost asked them to send me to Minnesota and connect me later, give me time to shuttle out to Mac and back. There's an idea that nobody would've been happy with in the end. Let's just be glad I wasn't feeling spontaneous; I blame dehydration.

Thinking about this mix (and I promise I have been thinking in my time off), I feel like there's something slightly different about it from the others. 17 Days, though I made it 17 days ago, managed to have some new and some hidden meanings. Even History Part 2 had something interesting to offer. This mix, however.... I feel either like it speaks for itself, or that it is trying to capture something that I've partially lost touch with. At any rate, I'm going to keep trying. I'm sorry if this is painfully uninteresting. I imagine reading this is not unlike reading the encyclopedia; relatively unenhancing, and a damper on your social life. If it's any consolation, writing this is probably a greater damper on my social life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home