Monday, December 20, 2004

Pressure Drop - The Specials

Funeral Song #2

"It is you. Oh-yeah-eah-ay.
It is you. Oh-yeah-eah-ay.
It is you. Oh-yeah-eah-ay.
I said pressure drop, oh pressure.
Oh yeah, pressure gonna drop on you.
I said pressure drop, oh pressure.
Oh yeah, pressure gonna drop on you.
When it drop, oh you gotta feel it,
All that you are doin' is wrong.
Ah said, when it drop, oh you gotta feel it,
All that you are doin' is wrong.
It is you. Oh-yeah-eah-ay.
It is you. Oh-yeah-eah-ay.
I said pressure drop, oh pressure.
Oh yeah pressure's gonna drop on you.
I said pressure drop, oh pressure.
Oh yeah pressure's gonna drop on you.
Sometimes you feel alone in the things that you do,
And people tell you that it is wrong
Life gets rough, life gets tough
So tell me what you gonna do about it?
You could die young, you could die old (unsure of remaining lyrics)


Three years ago, I decided that "Glad Tidings" by Van Morrison should be played at my funeral. Just today, I decided that "Pressure Drop" (the cover by the Specials, not the original by Jimmy Cliff) should be the second song played at my funeral. This song, like so many on this mix, came from Grosse Pointe Blank, which I had watched with Bridget sometime in May(?) 2004. This song was my pre-graduation song, when I was incredibly concerned about the whole process. I don't know why, exactly, but this song kinda became the theme of the whole Summer (both versions became the theme, to tell the truth). It stuck around after that, as well : About six weeks into the school year, when I was at my high point, I rode in circles around the library singing this song at the top of my lungs (waiting for Maggie and Holden, having a post-relationship conversation).
There are multiple meanings to this song : 1.

NOTE TO READER : I stopped writing this on December 20th, 2004. It was time to catch my flight, so you'll understand. However, I am now returning to it on January 27th, 2005. I hate to do this, but.... I've tried to explain that these so-called mixologies are not really definitive descriptions of the meaning behind each song when I chose it, but rather a present-day journal speaking through a medium of past events. Accordingly, I can't remember what the "Multiple meanings" to "Pressure Drop" are. I'm trying to come up with whatever it was that I was thinking, but I'm drawing huge blanks. I'm going to try to work it out and come up with something. Sorry for the unexpected suspense.

There are, apparently, multiple meanings to this song : 1. "It is you" and "Pressure's gonna drop on you" : It's Bridget. Everything is in her hands now. When I was on my way home, writing this, I was only just coming to terms with that realization; what I then called "Omnipotent Impotence," or the condition of knowing exactly what you want to happen, perhaps even knowing exactly how to go about getting what it is you want, yet still being philosophically inhibited. I realized that as much as I'm used to the controlling role in our relationship, I really don't have any control or hand in the situation as it stands. Bridget's got a boyfriend, and things are going well between them (to my chagrin, dammit), and she's not going to cheat on him (to my chagrin, dammit), and if the two of us end up together at any point in the next decade (just an estimate), it will be at her hand and not mine (to my chagrin, double-dammit).
In the meantime, that leaves me to figure out what kind of life I want to lead, what kind of person I am. It's completely convenient, but terribly frustrating. I want to retreat from my real future, from the life of responsibility, but since Bridget is not playing her old role, I don't have anyone around to keep me distracted from my responsible future. I'm very slowly coming to understand how I'm going to live my life, but there's still a lot of exploring and experimenting (socially, not sexually) to be done.
(phew. deep breath)
2. I suppose the other meaning to this song is touched on above. In the sense that the pressure regarding our future has fallen on Bridget, the pressure regarding my future has fallen on me. This thought doesn't sound familiar, and I don't think I was thinking like this in December, so this couldn't possibly be one of my intended meanings. But I mean it now. Good enough for goverment work. This case is closed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home